Updated: December 22, 2021
Personal Data Protection Policy
The Company also known as DigiPen Institute of Technology Singapore Pte Ltd “DigiPen (Singapore)”, is engaged in the business of Education. In the course of conducting its business, DigiPen (Singapore) needs to gather and process personal data.
DigiPen (Singapore) respects the privacy of people who visit our web, digipen.edu.sg, as well as our sub-web sites (individually and collectively referred to herein as the “Site”) and any individual DigiPen (Singapore) has a relationship with or may need to contact.
This notice states how DigiPen (Singapore) collects, uses, discloses and takes care of your personal data, in accordance with the Personal Data Protection Act 2012 (Act 26 of 2012) (“PDPA”).
1. Definition of Personal Data
“Personal Data” refers to any information, that can or will lead to identifying an individual, from students, graduates, employees, partners, agencies, authorities, contracting parties, III parties, and other individuals DigiPen (Singapore) has a relationship with or may need to contact.
Personal Data includes, but is not limited to, full name, gender, date of birth, citizenship passport or other unique identifiers, telephone number(s), residential mailing address, personal email address, photographs, video and audio recordings, and any other personal information or details that you provide to DigiPen (Singapore).
2. Collection of Personal Data
By interacting with, submitting information to, or signing up with DigiPen (Singapore), you agree and consent to the Company (including their related corporations and overseas branches and offices) (collectively, the “Company”), as well as their respective representatives and/or agents collecting (“Representatives”) (the Company and Representatives are collectively referred to herein as “us”, “we”, or “our”), using, disclosing and sharing amongst themselves your Personal data, and disclosing such Personal data to the Company’s authorised service providers and relevant third parties in the manner set forth in this Data Protection Policy.
It applies to all data that the company holds relating to identifiable individuals, even if that information technically falls outside of PDPA.
We only collect data necessary for fulfilling our product / service requirements. By submitting your data, you are deemed to have given your consent to our collection, use, disclosure, and storage of your personal data. Please let us know if you wish to withdraw or vary your consent. In the event any other use of your personal data is contemplated, we will notify you of the same.
- Personal data may be collected in the following ways:
- Form submission, including but not limited to application forms or other forms relating to any of our products or services which may be enquired about or purchased through the Company
- Any agreement or providing of other documentation or information in respect of your interactions with us, or when you use our services
- Interaction with our staff, including relationship managers and their assistants, example via telephone calls (which may be recorded), letters, fax, face-to-face meetings, and emails
- Images captured via closed-circuit television cameras (“CCTVs”) while you are within our premises, or via photographs or videos taken by us or our representatives when you attend events hosted by us
- Use of services provided through our online and other technology platforms, such as websites and apps, including when you establish any online accounts with us
- Request that we contact you, or include you in an email or other mailing list; or when you respond to our request for additional personal data, our promotions, and other initiatives
- Contact by, and / or response to, our marketing representatives, agents, and other service providers
- Information sought about you and receipt of your personal data from third parties in connection with your relationship with us, for example, from referrers, business partners, external or independent asset managers, public agencies, or the relevant authorities
- Personal data through physical access, internet, and information technology monitoring processes
- Personal data in connection with any investigation, litigation, registration or professional disciplinary matter, criminal prosecution, inquest, or inquiry which may relate to you
- Direct submission by you of your personal data to us
- Visitors to the premises of the Company via visitor logs
- The Company need not collect your consent under the following circumstances. Where collection of personal data:
- For legal purpose such as compliance with regulations under CPE, IRAS, MOH, and all other relevant laws of Singapore
- Cannot be obtained in timely way
- Not reasonably be expected to withhold consent
- Is an emergency that threatens the life, health, or safety of the individual or another individual
- The Company has reasonable grounds to believe that the health or safety of the individual or another individual will be seriously affected
- For the purpose of contacting the next-of-kin or a friend of any injured, ill or deceased individual
- Is publicly available
- Is in national interest
- For artistic or literary purposes
- For archival or historical purposes (not for sensitive data)
- There is legitimate interest
- For business asset transactions
- For business improvement purposes
- We do not, at our website and platforms, automatically collect personal data, including your email address unless you provide such information or login with your account credentials.
- If you provide us with any personal data relating to a third party (for example, information of your spouse, children, parents, or a representatives), by submitting such information to us, you represent to us that you have obtained the consent of the third party to you providing us with his/her personal data for the respective purposes.
- Accuracy You should ensure and check that all personal data submitted to us is complete, accurate, true, and correct. Failure on your part to do so may result in our inability to provide you with products and services you have requested. You agree to inform us immediately of any change of facts or circumstances which may render any information or personal data previously provided inaccurate, untrue, or incorrect and provide any information or documentation as we may reasonably require for the purposes of verifying the accuracy of the updated information or personal data.
3. Use of Personal Data
The Company hereby notifies you of use your personal data for the following purposes:
- verifying your identity
- managing the academic, administrative and business operations of the Company and complying with internal policies and procedures and sharing between departments within the Company (including but not limited to facilitating business continuity planning)
- Internal analysis/research
- Report generation
- audit purposes
- verifying or confirming trade orders and transactions or instructions from you or for your orders
- facilitating business asset transactions (which may extend to any mergers, acquisitions, or asset sales) involving the Company
- matching any personal data held which relates to you for any of the purposes listed herein
- responding to and resolving complaints and handling requests and enquiries, requests, feedback, and suggestions
- preventing, detecting, and investigating crime, analysing, and managing commercial risks
- project management
- providing media announcements and responses
- requesting feedback or participation in surveys, as well as conducting market research and/or analysis for statistical, profiling, or other purposes for us to design our [products / services], understand customer behaviour, preferences, and market trends, and to review, develop and improve the quality of our products and services
- managing the safety and security of our premises and services (including but not limited to carrying out CCTV surveillance and conducting security clearances)
- managing and preparing reports on incidents and accidents
- organising events, seminars, or trainings
- complying with any applicable rules, laws and regulations, codes of practice or guidelines, obligations, requirements, or arrangements for collecting, using, and disclosing personal data that apply to the Company
- to assist in law enforcement and investigations by relevant authorities
- archival management (including but not limited to warehouse storage and retrievals)
DigiPen (Singapore) will use personal information only in ways that are compatible with the purposes for which it was collected or subsequently authorized by the individual. DigiPen (Singapore) will take reasonable steps to ensure that personal information is relevant to its intended use, accurate, complete and current.
4. Disclosure of Personal Data
The Company may disclose your personal data, locally or overseas, to:
- Departments within the Company for the above use and purposes
- Contracting parties
- Referrers who have referred you to the Company
- Agents, contractors, vendors, installers, or third-party service providers who provide administrative or operational services to the Company, such as data intermediaries, courier services, telecommunications, information technology, payment, payroll, processing, training, market research, storage, archival, customer support investigation services or other services to the Company
- Agents, contractors, vendors, or other third-party service providers in connection with marketing, products and services offered by the Company
- Analytics, search engine providers or third-party service providers that assist us in delivering our products, services, websites, and platforms as well as improving and optimising the same
- Any business partner, investor, assignee, or transferee (actual or prospective) to facilitate business asset transactions (which may extend to any merger, acquisition or any debt or asset sale) involving any of the Company
- Professional advisers such as auditors and lawyers
- Relevant government regulators, government ministries, exchange, statutory boards or authorities or law enforcement agencies who have jurisdiction over the Company or any Company or over any transaction entered into by you
- Any liquidator, receiver, administrator, judicial manager, trustees-in-bankruptcy, custodian, or other similar official who has been so appointed, pursuant to bankruptcy, winding-up or insolvency proceedings instituted in Singapore or elsewhere, in respect of you or your assets
- Third parties who organise promotional or marketing events, seminars, or trainings
- Any other party to whom you authorise us to disclose your personal data to.
- The Company will take reasonable steps to protect your personal data against unauthorised disclosure by overseas entities or organizations, check for transfer limitation obligation – by ensuring the recipient country or at least the recipient organization has data protection laws and policies.
5. On-going Notifications
- If you have provided your Singapore telephone number(s) and have indicated that you consent to receiving marketing or promotional information via your Singapore telephone number(s), then from time to time, the Company may contact you using such Singapore telephone number(s) (including via voice calls, text, fax or other means) with information about our products and services.
- In relation to particular products or services or in your interactions with us, we may also have specifically notified you of other, different or new purposes for which we collect, use, or disclose your personal data. If so, we will collect, use and disclose your personal data for these additional purposes as well, unless we have specifically notified you otherwise.
- If you do not wish to receive any calls from us, please let us know and we shall act accordingly.
6. Access, Correction and/or Withdrawal Requests
All individuals who are the subject of personal data held by DigiPen (Singapore) are entitled to:
- Request to access your personal data held by DigiPen (Singapore).
- Request for your personal data to be corrected.
- Request to withdraw your consent for collection, use, or disclosure of your personal data. However, requests to object to the processing of your personal data may adversely impact your relationship with DigiPen (Singapore) or the quality of the services. You will be notified in advance of such impacts.
Please write in via email to the Data Protection Officer for above requests and your identify would be verified before processing your request. DigiPen (Singapore) may take up to 30 days, from when the request is made, to complete the request and you may be charged a reasonable fee to defray minimum costs of completing above requests. You will be notified in advance of such costs.
7. Security and Storage
DigiPen (Singapore) will take reasonable and appropriate precautions and security arrangements to protect and store Personal Data in its possession from loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction.
8. Transfer of Personal Data
So long as you have a direct or indirect relationship with DigiPen (Singapore) your personal data will be held and processed in accordance with our data protection policy. DigiPen (Singapore) may transfer your personal data as necessary within the DigiPen Group of companies and to other third parties. The Recipients may be located in countries which do not provide the same level of data protection as the country in which you are located. We will take measurable steps to ensure there is adequate protection for the transfer of your personal data in compliance with the applicable data protection laws. Where required by local law, we will request your consent to transfer your personal data and we will take steps to ensure that your personal data continues to receive a standard of protection that is at least comparable to that provided under the PDPA.
DigiPen (Singapore) will retain your Personal Data as long as you have a direct or indirect relationship with the Company. Once the relationship ends or you withdraw all your personal data, DigiPen (Singapore) will not retain your personal data unless there are legal and /or business reasons for so doing. Personal data will be retained by DigiPen (Singapore) till purpose for which it was collected is fulfilled. This is subject to sectoral and other written laws which includes law relating to the sector the Company does business in, employment laws, CPF, income tax laws, Limitation Act, and other regulations thereunder.
1. What are automated technologies
Cookies are text files containing small amounts of information which are downloaded to your computer or other electronic devices when you visit a website or mobile application. Cookies are then sent back to the originating site on each subsequent visit, or to another site that recognizes the cookies.
Web beacons (also known as pixel tags and clear GIFs) involve graphics that are not apparent to the user. Tracking links and/or similar technologies consist of a few lines of programming code and can be embedded in our websites or platforms. Web beacons are usually used in conjunction with cookies and primarily used for statistical analysis purposes. This technology can also be used for tracking traffic patterns on websites and platforms, as well as finding out if an e-mail has been received and opened and to see if there has been any response.
The Company may employ cookies and other technologies as follows:
- tracking information such as the number of visitors and their frequency of use, profiles of visitors and their preferred sites
- making our websites and platforms easier to use. For example, cookies may be used to help speed up your future interactions with our websites and platforms
- to better tailor our products and services to your interests and needs/li>
- collating information on a user’s search and browsing history
- when you interact with us on our websites and platforms, we may automatically receive and record information on our server logs from your browser. We may collect for the purposes of analysis, statistical and site-related information including, without limitation, information relating to how a visitor arrived at the website or platform, the browser used by a visitor, the operating system a visitor is using, a visitor’s IP address, and a visitor’s click stream information and time stamp (which may include for example, information about which pages they have viewed, the time the pages were accessed, and the time spent per web page)
- using such information to understand how people use our websites and platforms, and to help us improve their structure and contents
- using cookies that are necessary in order to enable our websites and platforms to operate, for example, cookies that enable you to log onto secure parts of our websites and platforms
- personalising the website and platform for you, including delivering advertisements which may be of particular interest to you and using cookie related information to allow us to understand the effectiveness of our advertisements.
Some cookies we use are from third party companies to provide us with web analytics and intelligence about our websites and platforms. These companies collect information about your interaction with our websites and platforms. We use such information to compile statistics about visitors who interact with the websites, platforms, and other companies’ online content, to gauge the effectiveness of our communications, and to provide more pertinent information to our visitors.
DigiPen (Singapore) uses a number of first-party cookies, most of which expire when the user’s browser is closed. Generally, these cookies help to store user information (i.e. language preferences) or ensure that users are aware of specific events related to their campus.
|Analytics||How Google uses information from sites or apps that use our services|
2. How to Manage Your Cookie Preferences
There is no accepted standard on how to respond to Do Not Track signals, and DigiPen does not respond to such signals. Rather, you may visit the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA) or the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) to receive more information about the collection and use of information about your online activities for online behavioral advertising or to learn how to opt out of having your data used for online behavioral advertising. European users can also visit the European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance to learn how to opt out of having their data used for online behavioral advertising.
Please note that if you choose to block cookies, you may impair the Site or prevent certain elements of the Site from functioning. Also, if you delete your cookies in the future you will need to opt again and if you use multiple web browsers, you may need to opt again.
Please note that even if you opt out using the mechanisms above, you may still receive advertisements when using DigiPen’s Sites.
3. Third-Party Sites and Links
The Site is not intended for or directed to children under the age of 13. Any person who provides their information to DigiPen (Singapore) through the Site represents to DigiPen (Singapore) that they are 13 years of age or older.
How to Contact Us
If you have questions or concerns about this policy or want to exercise any of your rights, please contact the Data Protection Officer via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +65 6577 1900.